Wednesday, July 3, 2019

After the Jet Lag: Germany 2019, pt. 7

By 7:45 a.m. on Wednesday, June 19, we were checking out of our lovely Airbnb in Holzkirchen.  Our sweet hostess offered to us a ride to the station to get the train to the Munich Airport.  She even helped us get our train ticket.  In less than an hour, we were at the airport - and had time to spare so we stopped for breakfast in Terminal 1 before heading to Terminal 2 where the rental car agencies are.  

I had originally requested a compact car and was offered a Ford Focus (since I wanted an automatic not a standard gear shift) ... but once I got to the counter, we were given a free "upgrade" to a Ford Galaxy, which is a European mini-van - or because the back doors are hinged (not sliding) is considered a "multi-person vehicle" (MPV).  While it was a nice ride, we sure didn't need room for 7 people!!  


It was fun to drive - once I got used to the unusual gear shift:


Anna wanted to see how fast we could go on the Autobahn - but the fastest I went was 180 km 
(=111 mph).  For the most part, I stayed safely in the right lane - and occasionally, we were in speed limited areas anyway.

From Munich, we drove west to the Lake Constance area, where my great-aunt and -uncle live near Ravensburg.  We arrived at their apartment around 3 p.m. and were greeted with coffee and cake.  After a while, they offered to take us down-town to the city center of Ravensburg.  Because they are not very mobile, we really didn't walk very far and found ourselves in an Eiscafe' where we were obligated to have some yummy ice cream.


My great-aunt is the youngest sister of my Oma.  My Oma had 10 younger siblings, and only 3 are still alive.  Now that I am an adult, I cherish the family history and stories that these elderly relatives can still share with me.  

My daughter Anna and her great-great uncle Hans, checking out pictures and apps on his phone.
~*~
After ice cream, we went back to their apartment to "rest" and then went out to eat (which seemed an almost impossible thought after cake AND ice cream!!).  My aunt and uncle had graciously reserved a hotel room for us - which was nice because originally we had planned to just sleep on their couch.  

Dinner was at the Hotel Sonne (where we were also to spend the night).  Anna and I shared one stone-oven baked pizza Hawaii.  It was about all we could manage to eat!  We sat and talked until past 9 p.m. - and then were shown to our spacious room for some rest.  

I alone managed to get up for the breakfast buffet which ended by 9 a.m.  I didn't think I'd ever be hungry again, but somehow I managed to enjoy the good German breads and other breakfast foods!  

We stopped by my aunt and uncle's place for a few minutes to say THANK YOU and good-bye.  And then we were off, headed north towards Heidelberg ... which I will share about next in part 8.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, feedback, and interaction. Danke!