Sunday, July 7, 2019

After the Jet Lag: Germany 2019, pt. 14

Wrapping up our Germany trip ---


The trip home was far less eventful as coming to Germany.  Customs and Immigration sure have changed since even when Andrew & I traveled internationally in 2013.

At the Frankfurt airport, at the first security check, you scan your passport and then get your picture taken at a huge digital photo-machine.  Then a customs agent stamps your passport, and you are on your way to have your carry-on baggage checked/scanned.  Thankfully, we weren't really delayed here.

Our flight back to NYC/JFK airport was smooth and on time.  My least favorite part of this whole trip was Customs/Immigration at JFK.  I am not sure I've ever experienced such masses of people as several international flights worth of passengers converged on one huge area.  The lines snaked in so many different directions, sort of guided by those elastic belts between posts that made some semblance of lanes to follow.  At first, we again scanned our passports and had our picture taken again.  This time, if you were a citizen of the US in good standing (I am assuming??!), you got a cleared ticket; if you weren't, you got an "X" over your photo and had to go to another line.

Standing in line to get to the customs agents felt somewhat like standing in a long line to get on an amusement park ride.  You just kind of snaked around in various directions, encountering the same people as you turned the corners.  FINALLY, we got to the front and were asked the standard questions about why we were traveling and did we bring back any weapons or forbidden foods, which OF COURSE, we did not.  I guess they have to ask ...

We got our suitcases fairly quickly after that ordeal and had to catch the Air-tram to another terminal (8) as we were flying home on another airline.  Upon arriving at that terminal, we had to go through security (AGAIN) for our carry-on baggage.  Also, somehow, we were put on an earlier flight to Dallas than anticipated, which was fine - it gave us less time in NYC but more time in Dallas.  Whatever.

We finally got checked in to our new airline - even though we had to do some switching of stuff from my suitcase to Anna's again as my gigantic suitcase weighed a few pounds over the limit.  Thankfully, we evened out when I moved some bigger stuff over - books and such.

Soon we were on our way to Dallas ... separated in seats, but still fairly close.  The flight was about 3 hours - and I was getting antsy towards the end as I was in a middle seat.  Oh the joys of flying cheap.  But we finally got there and then had plenty of time to spare.

We got to our general gate area and immediately went on the hunt for FOOD.  We hadn't really eaten a meal since the little breakfast snack on the international flight.  We found a BBQ place, and since we were in Texas, it felt right.


Our final flight to NW Arkansas was slightly delayed ... in that the plane that was supposed to carry us didn't show up on time.  Finally, I guess it came in from Chicago, and they quickly deplaned the folks getting off and let us board.  The flight was the ONLY flight on this whole trip that wasn't completely full.  I had an empty seat beside me so Anna was able to come sit by me.  It was a quick - less than hour - flight home.  And Dan and Miriam were waiting for us.  We still arrived fairly on schedule, just shortly before midnight.

We drove home - and went straight TO BED.  I had promised my boss I'd try to come to work the next day as I'd missed 8 days of work, and I actually made it!  And from that point on, it has been back to grindstone.  BUT with many happy memories to sustain us of this trip!

I can't wait to go back!!  And in fact, I just might be going back sooner than I expected:  my mom will be traveling to Germany in October and wants me to go.  I think I must!  Now to break it to my boss.......


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, feedback, and interaction. Danke!