Friday, July 5, 2019

After the Jet Lag: Germany 2019, pt. 11

Sunday, June 23:  

In the last post (part 10), I shared that we had stayed up until 2:30 a.m. with friends and family, catching up on life, laughing, and enjoying all the yummy barbecue foods in my cousin Stefanie's beautiful garden.  Of course, we slept in pretty late the next (same??!) day and skipped breakfast all together.  We just made do with some coffee ... which was just fine because Stefanie's parents were coming at 12:45 to take us out to eat for lunch:  


Stefanie's father is my Oma's younger brother - and the only boy of her 10 siblings that is still alive (2 sisters are still living - one of whom we'd visited in Ravensburg previously, as I shared in part 7).


Speaking of my Oma, June 23 was her birthday - and she would have been 101 years old on this day. 
 (More about her in this post:  my Oma's story

Anyway, we went to Greek restaurant in the town where my cousin lives, and I enjoyed pork souvlaki.  I can't remember what Anna had that day, but it might have been another Schnitzel.....We also enjoyed ice cream for dessert - and of course, espresso!  

As I said in my earlier post, it is so important to me now to listen for more details about my grandparents and their stories ... my Oma's family was from East Prussia, and this great uncle was a small boy when they fled from the Russians in 1943 to 1944 to first Eastern Germany and later to Rödelheim, in the Frankfurt area.  

As always, the food was yummy, and the table talk was interesting and entertaining.  Afterwards, we stopped by our mutual friend's house for some more coffee and conversation (the friends who had been at the barbecue the night before) ... and then my cousin drove us back to my aunt's apartment in Frankfurt where we'd spend the last day of our Germany trip.  

I didn't think we could eat any supper - but we managed to have some bread, meat, cheese, and fruit for a light evening meal with my aunt.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, feedback, and interaction. Danke!