Saturday, June 10, 2017

Summer Time Favorites

Today was a perfect summer day, in my opinion, here in NW Arkansas where I currently live.  It was sunny, around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, with just enough breezes to keep one comfortable.  As a child in Germany, these kind of days were celebrated by going outside - riding bicycles by the Nidda River, a tributary of the Main River of Frankfurt, the city where I stayed with my German grandparents for several months each year or taking a long walk or just sitting in my Opa's garden.  On weekends, there were often outdoor Fests, travel to nearby sights, sitting in Eiscafes sipping coffee, cake, or Italian ice cream.

These are a few of my favorite German summer things:

Spaghettieis
Vanilla ice cream pressed through a special machine to make it look like pasta, put down over a dollop of whipped cream for a fun treat underneath, and topped with strawberry sauce and sprinkles of white chocolate



Dining Al Fresco
Whether one is eating Italian Gelatto, drinking coffee, or enjoying an entire meal, everything seems to taste better when eaten outside!  Germans are fans of fresh air and sunshine!


Yellow Fields of Rapeseed (called Raps in German)
Rapeseed is in the mustard family; however, what is typically derived from the rapeseed is canola oil.


Vineyards
While I am no wine connoisseur, I do love the vineyards that can be found all over Germany - the grape-growing areas I am most familiar with are alone the rivers of the Main, Rhein, Mosel, and Neckar rivers.


Burgfest (Burg = castle)
Germans loves a good summer fest, and since there are many towns that have their own castle or castle ruins, Burgfests are scheduled often.  It is where the Middle Ages meets modern times. 
There one can encounter folks in traditional dress, visit vendors, play games, hear live music, and of course, there is lots and lots of great food!


Flowers (Blumen)
In Germany, flower arrangements are often less expensive to buy than here in the States.  German flower vendors are usually in every shopping district and farmers market, in train stations and other travel venues, by cemeteries, and sometimes inside a larger store.
It is customary to bring flowers when visiting someone, when going to the cemetery, for birthdays, and of course, "just because".


 Grill Party
While Americans tend to grill hamburgers and steaks, Germans stereo-typically grill their thousands of varieties of sausages - the Bratwurst being the most popular, I am sure!!  It is definitely one of my favorite.


And now I am properly homesick for this land of my childhood!  There are a thousand more things I could share what I enjoyed about summer time in Germany, but these are just a few that I sure would have loved to taste, see, smell, hear, and experience on a day like today.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, feedback, and interaction. Danke!