Thursday, June 22, 2017

Can One HodgePodge in GERMAN!?

I blogged somewhere else for a few years ... and I participated in this fun weekly HodgePodge there occasionally ... but now that I am focusing more on my GERMAN blog, I am going to try to HodgePodge here ... because one can HodgePodge anywhere, right?!??

By the way, a FUN German word that means about the same as HodgePodge is Mischmasch!  




1. The first day of summer rolls in later this week. What are ten things you'd put on your list of  quintessential summer activities? Will you try to manage all ten this summer?

Will I manage, I don't know ... but here's what I love about summer:  hamburgers on the grill (should be able to accomplish!!), any food on the grill just about, a pool, a lazy river, fireflies (the German word for firefly is Glühwürmchen, which literally means (little) glow worm), porch sitting on warm evenings, sunsets, walks in the park, flip flops, and getting out of town - or out of state - or out of the country - with the family.

2. Do you collect seashells when you're at the beach? What do you do with them once you get them home? What's your favorite place to comb for seashells? How many of these 'best beaches for hunting seashells' have you visited? Which one would you most like to visit?

Calvert Cliffs State Park (Maryland), Jeffrey's Bay (South Africa), Sanibel Island (Florida), Shipwreck Beach (Lanai Hawaii), Ocracoke Island (North Carolina), Galveston Island (Texas) and The Bahamas

Our family vacationed near Galveston and visited the Island in the summer of 2014... it wasn't pretty.  The year we went, the seaweed had taken over the beaches.  There were warnings everywhere about the seaweed ... and big tractors were trying to shovel the seaweed off the shore.  See all that brown stuff all the way to the water??  Yeh, seaweed.

We managed to make the best of it ... but let me tell you, it was NOT the best beach experience I've ever had:



I think I'd much rather see the pristine beaches of Lanai Hawaii!!  or any other beach that does NOT have the potential for seaweed overload.

3. At a snail's pace, shell out money, come out of your shell, go back into your shell, drop a bombshell, happy as a clam, clam up...which 'shell' phrase could most recently be applied to some event or circumstance in your life? Explain.

Snail pace is a fun word in German as well:   Schneckentempo 
I am looking forward to my upcoming vacation where life will hopefully go along at a Schneckentempo.

4. What summer activity do you dislike? Why?

Yard work.  Heat.  Humidity.  Sweating.

5. What's something you see as quickly becoming obsolete? Does that bother you?

With so many brands of eReaders these days from Kindle to Nook and beyond, I fear books are becoming obsolete.  It doesn't bother me though because you will still find me at the library, the bookstore, and holding real books with pages that turn!



6. Insert your own random thought here.

To add to the SUMMER MISCHMASCH, here are a few German Summer words:

Summer = Sommer
Sun = Sonne
Sun screen = Sonnencreme
HOT = heiss
Swimming pool = Schwimmbad
Bathing Suit = Badeanzug
Vacation = Urlaub
Ice Cream = Eis 
Ice Cream Parlor = Eis Cafe'





1 comment:

  1. Fun take on the HP : ) The seaweed beach does not look appealing-ugh! Hope you're doing well. It's nice to see you here. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, feedback, and interaction. Danke!