Wednesday, October 23, 2019

German Adventures: Lessons Learned, Part 1

2019 is my year for travel to Germany ... I guess it makes up for all the years since 2013 that I haven't been able to go?!  I was able to spend 6 days in Germany again this month - from October 6-12.  



This trip was fast - and filled with some unexpected twists that altered our original travel plans, but it was still awesome to spend some time with my mother in Germany!

The first lesson we learned has to do with the Schengen Agreement.  Have you heard of this treaty signed on June 14, 1985?  I sure had not ... until now.  Well, if you are a US passport holder and wish to travel to Germany or any of the other European countries that have signed on to this treaty since 1985, pay attention! 

The Schengen Treaty was formed as a result of the abolishment of most of the borders of the European countries as they formed the EU.  This allowed for travel without border control throughout Europe.  As it pertains to international travel, however, this treaty affects American and other non-European citizens differently. 

Because the treaty assumes that most travelers to its 26 countries will stay for the full 3 months allowed for a non-visa stay, these Schengen areas require at least a 6 month validity on the passports of those non-Schengen countries' passport holders.  Does it make sense?  Not to me ... but that's the rules as explained by the US Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs.  

What did that mean for us?  Well, for my mother, whose U.S. passport expires in January of 2020, it meant she was not allowed to travel on the day she was to fly to Germany (with my brother's family, who were also going to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland).  It meant she had to make an emergency passport renewal appointment in Atlanta in order to fly out the next day.  Thankfully, it all worked out, but wow ... what an unexpected turn of events. 

My mother flew to Germany a day delayed - October 1st, arriving October 2nd.  Sadly, she missed a big family reunion lunch with several relatives that at least my brother and his family were able to attend.  They were able to call her and pass the phone around to everyone, but it sure wasn't like being there.  

My brother and his extended in-law family with several of our German relatives, meeting for lunch at the zum Adler restaurant in Ginnheim/Frankfurt.


Anyway ... that was lesson learned #1.  More lessons were to follow on this trip!   






No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, feedback, and interaction. Danke!