Friday, November 11, 2016

LECKERBISSEN: Old World Dinner


Leckerbissen is a German word meaning treat, tidbit, or delicacy.  
Lecker means yummy or delicious; ein Bissen is a bite.  
Here is a recipe that will provide you with a YUMMY BITE (or two or more).

~*~
Sauerkraut is a traditionally German food.  It literally means sour cabbage; it is finely shredded, fermented/pickled cabbage.  I think you either LOVE Sauerkraut, or you hate it (I love it!!).  If you happen to LOVE it too and have a big group of people to feed, I recommend my friend's easy crock pot recipe which incorporates Sauerkraut, potatoes, apples, and Bratwurst or Polish sausage (and a little bit of bacon!).  


Old World Dinner
recipe from Melanie F., Iowa, USA

INGREDIENTS:

3 strips of bacon
2 small potatoes (I used more – but they were those small, golden potatoes which I didn't peel; 
I always called them “salad” potatoes), peeled and cubed
2 small apples (I used a gala – and just one), cored and cubed
2 lbs. cooked Bratwurst or Polish sausage, cut into pieces
3 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp flour
2 cans 27-oz. Sauerkraut (or glass jar of Sauerkraut, however you find it!)
1/2 cup water (or chicken broth or I just threw in a chicken bouillon cube)


Fry bacon and sausage in a large frying pan.  Drain the grease. 
Put the meats into the crockpot.
Add flour to the pan and blend into the drippings.
Then stir in the Sauerkraut; and I went ahead and mixed in the apple pieces and potatoes and brown sugar, and let this cook a little while, coating everything in the drippings.


Put all the ingredients in the crockpot – add the brown sugar (if you haven't already) and water or broth.  Mix well.   
Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

GUTEN APPETIT!






1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, this one! 8-)
    Some of our kiddos really like sauerkraut -- which is just amazing! haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, feedback, and interaction. Danke!